Wednesday, September 16, 2015

Mean Girl

So far this month, two people are mad at me -- wait, maybe three. Perhaps even you?

Surprisingly, I'm okay with that. In my advancing age I've decided to switch from a lifetime of Nice Girl to an occasional Mean Girl.

Oh, you won't find me tripping the feeble, or hurling insults at strangers, just that I may do something that makes you mad -- like acting haughty or telling you no -- and, I can live with that.

This recent decision is so liberating! It all began in discussions with several acquaintances and I was not able to satisfy either with my No, can't do response.

While my repeated No eventually terminated the dialogues, it didn't stop my brain from simmering. Because of my decades of being nice, polite, and diffident, I couldn't leave the issues as settled. Instead, I obsessed about my dissenting and anticipated a night of tossing.

It was then the refreshing idea slipped in among my turbulent thoughts:  It's okay for someone to not like me, or to be mad at me; I will survive.

And with that light bulb moment, I felt unburdened, and knew I could then sleep peacefully.

Of course, this liberating notion required a bit of research: When did my intent of being Nice Girl begin? So while visions of avengers skipped on by without pausing, calendar years flipped backwards until I reached childhood.

I see pre-teen me posing in front of a three-way mirror in a department store circa 1950. Mother is seated on a cushion surveying the outfit I am sampling. "You look fine," she says, responding to my dour expression.

I dearly love this beautiful woman who is scrutinizing my fashion show. With her upswept hairdo, blue eyes, Max Factor red lipstick, and beauty queen shape, she resembles a film star. She is adorned with costume jewelry, a sweater I wish had a higher neckline, a slim skirt, and high heels she insists on despite the resulting bunions.

The scene in this department store is familiar: My mother selects my clothes. As usual, I button my lip about my hatred of her choices because I believe my tie to her so fragile that I dare not oppose. "If you want me to get it," I say about each unappealing ensemble, "let's do it."

So Nice Daughter continued until Mother died. She left this earth without ever learning of my loathing of the bulky winter storm coat, the school shoes with thick heels, or the faux cashmere sweaters that made my skin itch. I can live with that; she didn't deserve to ever meet Mean Girl.

Nice Girl was also Nice Student; first to raise her hand, turn in her perfect penmanship paper, and volunteer to erase the black board. That's why the unpleasant time in the assembly hall still reproduces darkly whenever I try to recall my eight years at Lafayette Elementary.

"I can't see the stage," I said to my chum on my left as I tapped the stiff cotton of her blouse. "Can I try on your glasses?"

After Sandy handed them to me and I placed them atop my nose and ears, I let out, "Wow, I can even see the buckles on their shoes."

"Elaine, stop talking or you'll have to leave the assembly," said Miss Lowe, her finger touching her lips for emphasis.

This had never happened to Nice Girl! I removed my friend's glasses, handed them to her, and used my small arm to wipe tears. I was mortified. In my childish mind, that incident dumped me into the group of bad kids, those who would be sent to the principal's office.

I had made the teacher I adored mad at me, and that incident must've seeped into my brain and stuck there as if it were chewed gum on the bottom of an unlucky shoe.

History reveals that my desire to prevent anyone's displeasure went beyond those I care about. I see now that it protected everyone from Mean Girl, like an insurance policy that promises full coverage even in the event of flood or earthquake.

As I look back on these petty examples of how important it was for me to be Nice, I wonder how off base I had been. Perhaps Mother would've taken my view, considered it, and said, "Oh, I never realized that. Of course, you can choose what you like."

And maybe Miss Lowe, if she had known how her simple shushing had devastated me and left a lifelong stain, would've pulled me aside and said something like, "I know this was not your usual behavior. You're still my star pupil."

No matter. You've been warned: Watch out for Mean Girl.





6 comments:

  1. Interesting post, Elaine. Don't become a mean girl. I was the victim of one last year -- a good friend who was upset about changes in her life and took it out on me. I was so hurt but determined to try and work it out. Thankfully, it did. In the high school yearbook, we used to write "Stay as sweet as you are." For some reason, that expression came to mind. Stay just as you are, dear friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I couldn't disagree more with the above comment and support your liberation. Niceness is a female disease.

    ReplyDelete
  3. how refreshing to have an opinion and express it while it may not be everyones cup of tea. one doesnt necessarily have to change ones character to have an opinion, or a differing one. You cant keep or make everyone happy...but it high time to do it for yourself. Those that love and care about you should be able to take a little no (know) from you!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mrs Lowe! wasn't that my teacher? great story mama

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think girls and women sometimes confuse being nice with being subservient. Every day I work on understanding the difference between doing what I want versus doing what others want me of me. And I can still be nice and say NO!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have to stick up for yourself because no one else will. Well done and well played.

    ReplyDelete